At Toyota Research Institute (TRI), we’re working to build a future where everyone has the freedom to move, engage, and explore with a focus on reducing vehicle collisions, injuries, and fatalities. Join us in our mission to improve the quality of human life through advances in artificial intelligence, automated driving, robotics, and materials science. We’re dedicated to building a world of “mobility for all” where everyone, regardless of age or ability, can live in harmony with technology to enjoy a better life. Through innovations in AI, we’ll help…
– Develop vehicles incapable of causing a crash, regardless of the actions of the driver.
– Develop technology for vehicles and robots to help people enjoy new levels of independence, access, and mobility.
– Bring advanced mobility technology to market faster.
– Discover new materials that will make batteries and hydrogen fuel cells smaller, lighter, less expensive and more powerful.
– Develop human-centered AI systems to augment (not replace) human decision making to increase the quality of decisions (e.g. mitigate cognitive biases) and/or to facilitate faster innovation cycles.
Our work is guided by a dedication to safety – in both what we research and how we perform our research our goal is to benefit society. As a subsidiary of Toyota, TRI is fueled by a diverse and inclusive community of people who carry invaluable leadership, experience, and ideas from industry-leading companies. Over half of our technical team carries PhD degrees. We’re continually searching for the world’s best talent ‒ people who are ready to define the new world of mobility with us!
We strive to build a company that helps our people thrive, achieve work-life balance, and bring their best selves to work. At TRI, you will have the opportunity to enjoy the best of both worlds ‒ a fun environment with forward-thinking people who enjoy solving tough problems and the financial backing to successfully achieve our goals. Come work with TRI if you’re interested in transforming mobility through designing technology for safer cars, enabling the elderly to age in place, or designing alternative fuel sources. Start your impossible with us.
As a software engineer on the Risk Aware Driving team, you will work to build models and software to understand driver behavior critical to advancing autonomous vehicle performance and road safety.
The Risk Aware Driving team is focused on data-driven development using Toyota fleet logs and large-scale naturalistic driving datasets. Approaches from field robotics are then used to validate technologies for transition to more capable Toyota products. The team is developing technologies addressing all aspects of reasoning about driver behavior, including driver state estimation, prediction of road interactions, and quantification of risks.
You will work alongside top research scientists in machine learning and probabilistic robotics to develop fieldable solutions to “Show what is possible” for future Toyota products.
You are passionate about applying machine learning to real-world problems in autonomous driving and about building the required frameworks and tools to do so. You will interact closely with our ml and data teams to design, use and deploy maintainable infrastructure for training and inference.
- Help create new deep learning approaches and apply them to solve a plethora of real-world problems, such as driver intent prediction, agent prediction, etc.
- Work on crafting new pathways through TRI’s data stack for machine learning using AWS and other compute platforms
- Build smarter, more efficient ways of automating deep learning processes, including labeling, training, testing, and visualization
- Engineer big-data tools and pipelines to train, evaluate and deploy deep neural networks across TRI’s datasets
- Evaluate, adapt and apply popular deep learning frameworks for global, petabyte-scale use
- Developing tooling and infrastructure that support the launching and evaluating of planning and control algorithms
- Work with other engineers/scientists to implement fast reliable code
- Degree or 3+ years of industry experience
- Preferred MS/Ph.D. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or an equivalent Mathematics field
- Proven software engineering skills in C++ and/or Python
- Hands-on experience with PyTorch, TensorFlow, Caffe, Keras, or Theano
- Hands-on experience with cloud frameworks such as AWS, GCP or Azure
- Experience with machine learning model training and refinement and optimization
- Experience with production model deployment would be highly regarded.
- Beneficial: A coder mentality eager to take research ideas to code.
- Beneficial: Experience with “Naturalistic driving data” or customer datasets.
- Beneficial: Experience with probabilistic robotics,
- Beneficial: Experience with computer vision and multiview geometry.
- Beneficial: Experience with autonomous vehicles, robot path planning
- Beneficial: Experience with C++ on a real-world robotic system, such as ROS development