Job Description: Business and Alliance Manager
Do you want to grow a company that positively impacts the world? At twoXAR, we discover lifesaving drug treatments using artificial intelligence. We are seeking a Business and Alliance Manager to optimize the value of twoXAR’s strategic partnerships from discovery to IND. This Mountain View-based role is part of our core team and is critical to our success; compensation is reflective of a series-A startup and is commensurate with skills & experience. The successful candidate will have extensive knowledge of the drug development process and at least 2 years of experience in working in the capacity of Business Development or Alliance Management Partnerships.
twoXAR is an artificial intelligence-driven drug discovery company. We leverage our computational platform to identify promising drug candidates, validate and de-risk them through preclinical studies, and progress candidates to the clinic through industry and investor partnerships. We have established collaborations with leading biopharmaceutical companies and are now scaling the business and building our internal drug pipeline. twoXAR is venture-backed with financing from SoftBank Ventures and Andreessen Horowitz and has strong ties to Stanford University and MIT. Our management team and advisory board have decades of biopharmaceutical management experience, built software systems used by tens of millions of people, held VP and C-level positions at Fortune 100 companies, and have had previous startups with successful strategic acquisitions.
- Manage a portfolio of alliances, working closely with cross-functional partners and internal colleagues to manage responsibilities, mitigate risks, and ensure alliance objectives are achieved.
- Facilitate joint meetings and communicate outcomes and insights. Work with internal functional team members (such as Discovery, Research, Pre-Clinical Development, Finance, and Legal) to educate colleagues on key aspects of each partnership and develop a ‘partner mindset’.
- Educate and guide internal project teams and leadership with respect to opportunities and constraints arising from each collaboration.
- Monitor and track compliance with financial and non-financial obligations, such as milestones and royalties, publications, IP, and diligence efforts.
- Proactively address issues and mitigate risks arising from contractual complications or partner differences. Resolve issues regarding communication, conflict, or role clarification, including leading impasse resolution between companies when necessary.
- Conduct periodic health checks with internal and external stakeholders and regularly implement feedback to enhance alliance efficiency and effectiveness.
- Draft and review of ancillary agreements as needed, including letter agreements, contract amendments and correspondence
- Assess business requirements and implement improvements to systems to meet changing business needs.
- Regularly collect/develop and control quality of forecasts as appropriate to support financial planning activities.
- Research prospects and landscape, to identify and qualify new business opportunities and partners.
- Lead initial pitches and follow-up
- Identify how twoXAR can select disease(s) for collaboration
- Cultivate strong relationships with new partners, while maintaining existing partners’ relationships.
- Manage partners’ expectations in new and existing relationships
- Help Draft term sheets and amendments
- Work with finance and legal on contracts and negotiation
- Coordinate travel, conferences, calls, and meetings.
- Manage NDAs
- Assist with drafting business plans, sales pitches, presentations, reference material, and other documents as required.
- Align and facilitate twoXAR’s platform and science resources in new business opportunities
- Perform customer due diligence
- Significant knowledge of relevant science and drug development process, particularly in research through early development stages
- Experience with legal agreements, contracts, and alliance governance
- Collaborative mindset and demonstrated ability to build consensus and influence key stakeholders
- Self-starter, comfortable working in a fast-paced, evolving environment
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills with the ability to engage effectively with various levels of management, staff, and clients.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and work under pressure.
- Strong organization and project management skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree in the Life Science required
- MBA or Ph.D. in the Life Science required.
- At least 1-year relevant work experience in Alliance Management, Partnering, or Business Development function, involving direct interactions with external partners in the biopharma/pharmaceutical industry
- Travel is required and will likely be 25%.