As a new nurse getting ready to graduate or graduated with BSN and at least a 3.5 GPA and less than one year of full time experience you’ll undergo a 10-week (45 day course) nurse transition training program (NTP) similar to a civilian residency. During this training program, the primary focus is to help the novice nurse gain experience and competence in real direct patient care, under the supervision of a nurse preceptor. Your preceptor will help with your transition into the nursing profession, as well as into a leadership position as an officer in the Air Force. You would be applying to the AF Nurse Corps under either the Medical Surgical or Obstetric nurse track or both (your choice).
As an AF RN, you’ll face many challenges, some you’ve seen in the civilian world and some you’ll only encounter in the military. Additionally, you’ll be able to focus on practicing more medicine day-to-day than you ever imagined, and you could do it in locations around the world; from working in a full-size medical center to working interdependently with medical providers in a small clinic. As an officer and a nurse, you’ll be an indispensable and highly respected member of our medical team providing state-of-the-art healthcare to Airmen and their families. You’ll plan, implement and evaluate nursing care for both in- & out-patients along the health continuum; Collaborate with all members of the team to ensure your patients and their families receive the finest healthcare; Touch every aspect of healthcare from bedside nursing, community initiatives, leadership, research, education, and disaster preparedness. You’ll be an officer with all the respect and privileges attached to the rank and carry your seniority with you wherever you work.
• 30 days of vacation each year with pay • Paid continued education
• Average work week of about 45 hours • Retirement after 20 years of service
• Tax-free housing, food & clothing allowances • Comprehensive medical & dental care
• Within 6 mo gradating or have at least BSN with less than 1 year exp and 3.5 GPA or higher
• Be a U.S. citizen age 48 or less (prior military can apply with higher age)
• Meet physical, moral, & credit requirements