Penn Food and Wellness Collaborative Internship – Summer 2021
Location: University of Pennsylvania, Wellness at Penn
Dates: May 2021-September 2021, possibility of continuing into the 2021-2022 academic year
Schedule: 25-40 hours per week during summer months, 10-20 during the academic year (if rehired for the fall)
Compensation: Unpaid however highly aided students may apply for Highly Aided Summer Funding and are strongly to encouraged to apply. Students eligible for Federal Work Study summer funds may also be able to use those funds for a portion of their hours
Penn Food and Wellness Collaborative:
The Penn Food and Wellness Collaborative is a new initiative bringing together partners from the Center for Public Health Initiatives, Facilities and Real Estate Services, Wellness at Penn, and other stakeholders across Penn. This year marks the first full season of expansion of the Penn Park Orchard into Penn’s first campus urban farm, Penn Park Farm. The farm is a host to a wide variety of programming including class visits, internships, workshops, volunteer opportunities, and events, with an emphasis on promoting wellness on campus.
The main location for the Penn Food and Wellness Collaborative is the Penn Park Farm and Orchard, located in Penn Park, one of Penn’s largest green spaces. It is nestled between open recreational fields and the existing Penn Park Orchard (the orchard will also be a part of the Penn Food and Wellness Farm). The Penn Food and Wellness Farm site is visible from the South Street bridge and accessible via pedestrian paths from Kane Park and the Penn Ice Rink. The Penn Food and Wellness Farm boasts a hoop house for season extension, in-ground beds for growing, and an orchard. The farm utilizes sustainable, organic growing practices.
Produce grown from at the Penn Food and Wellness Farm will be directed towards two major priorities- Access and Education.
- Access: Organic, fresh produce is sent to a food pantry at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania that serves employees at the hospital dealing with food insecurity. More information on the HUP food pantry can be found here. This partnership will continue until at least August 2021. We also provide occasional donations to West Philadelphia based food distribution organizations and the FGLI food pantry.
- Education: Our produce is also utilized in educational opportunities at the farm such as cooking classes, medicine making workshops, events.
The Penn Food and Wellness Collaborative will be at the intersection of countless educational and wellness related programs on campus. Some examples of workshop and event topics include organic growing, yoga, healthy cooking and nutrition, food justice, sustainability and more. The Penn Food and Wellness Farm will also be a flagship site for other wellness programs from the Center for Public Health such as the Nature Rx initiative and the Weekly Themed Wellness Walks upon the reopening of Penn’s campus.
There are many ways to get involved with the Penn Food and Wellness Collaborative. Stay tuned for student jobs, volunteer opportunities, leadership positions and more. The Penn Food and Wellness Farm is also available as a space for outdoor events for student clubs.
For Faculty and Staff:
The Penn Food and Wellness Collaborative welcomes collaboration with Penn’s incredible faculty and staff. The farm is a great place for field trips, hands on learning and has the capacity to serve as an outdoor laboratory for research. Staff can also host events at the farm, weather permitting.
For the Philadelphia Community:
Community members are always welcome at volunteer days and events at the Penn Food and Wellness Collaborative.
Specific tasks include:
- Assist in seeding, planting, cultivating, harvesting, and wash/pack for production of crops and farm space.
- Assist in land preparation, irrigation, fertilization, and pruning.
- Take a leadership role in developing programming and special events to educate and engage the Penn community
- Coordinate an active email listserv and social media presence; strengthen campus awareness of the farm and programs
- Coordinate and supervise volunteers at the Penn Park Farm and Orchard
- Assist with maintenance and design of farm infrastructure including tool upkeep, signage, and shed organization
- Assist with research into student needs, model programs, agricultural practices, etc.
- Help build a network of student groups engaged with the PFWC. Coordinate with student groups for events with PFWC
- Promote the Penn Food and Wellness Collaborative through public speaking at events and outreach
- Additional projects based on the interest and skills of the candidate
- Current undergraduate or graduate student;
- Ability lift 50 lbs and work outside in various weather conditions (if allowed back on campus)
- Must have experience with outreach and engagement on a University campus;
- Must be able to work independently and be a creative self-starter;
- Excellent writing and analytical skills; Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong leadership and public speaking skills
- Interest in food justice, sustainability, or health and wellness is a plus!
- Knowledge/experience with sustainable farming, gardening or garden education is preferred but training is available for the right candidate
- Must be eligible for Work Study or for Highly Aided Summer Funding in order to receive compensation
Please submit a resume and cover letter to apply.