Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world’s leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum’s financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum’s three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum also has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, – and over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
Looking for individuals to bring their curiosity and individuality to Unum, where you’ll develop professional skills, get hands-on experience that will help you grow both personally and professionally.
You will join a team where your manager or team lead will assign you meaningful, challenging project work that culminates in an end-of-summer presentation to key business leaders. Your projects will require you to work independently as well as within teams.
This internship is designed to provide exposure to the field of actuarial science as a career in a life insurance corporation. This position provides technical support to the actuarial staff, and potential areas of assignm
- Work for the leader in the disability-based employee benefits marketplace & in a professional office setting
- Contribute in meaningful project work that will leave a lasting impact on the business. Previous intern projects have included: assisting in maintenance of pricing & underwriting tools and maintaining valuation systems
- Learn about departmental & corporate functions
- Attend weekly information sessions & networking opportunities with senior leaders across enterprise locations
- Take part in social & community service activities with fellow interns
- Join an Employee Network and work with the Office of Inclusion & Diversity to help advance Unum’s inclusion journey and represent the full spectrum of what makes us unique
- Interns are considered as potential candidates for our Actuarial Development Program upon graduation
- Earn college credit for your internship. (Faculty/Hiring Manager pre-approvals are required)
- The internship program starts in early June 2022 and will last about 10-12 weeks
- Competitive sign-on bonus provided
- Portland, ME
- Columbia, SC
- Chattanooga, TN
- Candidate must be enrolled in an accredited college degree program. Preference given to students that will be rising seniors and/or first year graduate students during the summer of 2022.
- Extensive coursework in math, actuarial science, statistics, economics, or finance
- Required overall GPA of 3.0
- Applied leadership skills
- Desire and ability to pass actuarial exams
Our company is built on helping individuals and families, and this starts with our employees. We want employees to maintain a positive balance, which is why we provide access to the benefits and resources they need to invest in themselves. From our onsite fitness facilities and generous paid time off to employee professional development programs, we are committed to helping employees live and work their best – both inside and outside the office.