Urbana School District 116
TITLE: High School Science Teacher
LOCATION: Urbana High School
SUPERVISOR: Building Principal and Assistant Principal
JOB SUMMARY: Under general direction of the Principal or Assistant Principal, the teacher is responsible for helping students learn subject matter and skills that will contribute to their development as mature, able and responsible adults.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- Meets and instructs classes in the locations and at the times designated.
- Demonstrates effective preparation for instruction.
- Applies knowledge gained from staff development and professional education literature when designing instruction.
- Plans program of study that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interests and abilities of the students.
- Creates classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
- Prepares for classes assigned an show written evidence of preparation upon request by immediate superior.
- Encourages students to set and maintain standards of classroom behavior.
- Guides the learning process toward achievement of curriculum goals and in harmony with the goals established and gives a clear objective for all lessons, units, project and the like to communicate these objectives to students.
- Employs a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media, consistent with the physical limitations of the location provided and the needs and capabilities of the individuals or student groups involved.
- Strives to implement by instruction and action the district’s philosophy of education and instructional goals and objectives.
- Assess the accomplishments of students on a regular basis and provides progress reports as required.
- Diagnoses the learning disabilities of students on a regular basis, seeking the assistance of district specialists as required.
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
- Maintains accurate, complete and correct records as required by law, district policy and administrative regulation.
- Assist the administration in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and conduct; and for the classroom, develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure and maintains order in the classroom in a fair and just manner.
- Makes provisions for being available to students and parents for education-related purposes outside the instructional day when required or requested to do so under reasonable terms.
- Plans and supervises purposeful assignments for teacher assistants and volunteers.
- Strives to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Attends staff meetings and in-service activities as directed.
- Serves on staff committees as required.
- Maintains professional relationships with students and faculty, follows ethics of the teaching profession and promotes the welfare of students at all times.
- Some teachers may serve as department chair, team leader or building curriculum coordinator.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with certification and content endorsement.
2-3 years teaching experience at this level except in the case of a new college graduate.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES: In order to serve all students in this position, the ideal candidate would have a strong desire to work with bilingual and EL students.
LICENSES/CREDENTIAL: Valid Illinois Teaching Certificate with the appropriate endorsements.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Salary is based on a step placement which is determined by education, experience and the Urbana Education Association and Board of Education contract.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on evaluation of professional personnel.
START DATE: August, 2020
NOTE: This is a position within the collective bargaining unit and is not an administrative position.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER