Urbana School District 116
TITLE: School Medication Nurse
LOCATION: Thomas Paine & Wiley
SUPERVISOR: District Nurse, Building Administrator(s)
JOB SUMMARY: School Nurses promote the physical, mental, emotional and social
well being of student and staff. The school nurse is directly responsible for the Health Services in assigned buildings while maintaining a high level of ethics and confidentiality. All aspects of this job should be performed in accordance with both the district/state board of education policies and procedures and state law regarding nurse practice.
- Ensures medication authorization/physician orders are complete.
- Maintains safe procedures for administration, storage and documentation of medication prescribed by the physician.
- Provides specialized procedures as ordered by physician.
- Keep individual medication records for each student- current and discontinued.
- Correctly packages field trip medications.
- Reports all accidents and injuries to building administrator and District Nurse.
- Documents all student contacts in Skyward.
- Maintains a user-friendly and organized health services office.
- Maintains confidential communication with appropriate staff, students and families.
- Manages and makes recommendations for community medical/dental services.
- Follows-up on referrals for health problems.
- Communicates with parents regarding student’s health status.
- Assesses individual student’s health and safety needs and assists in the development and implementation of plans to meet those needs at school.
- Determines the epidemiological impact of students’ contagious illnesses and acts to prevent the spread of communicable disease in the school setting.
- Monitors effectiveness of medication and communicates medication- related concerns to parent/guardians and prescribing physician.
- Provides staff with up-to-date information about students’ health care needs on an as need to know basis.
- Makes appropriate assessment and referrals for suspected abuse/neglect as a mandated reporter.
- Maintains emergency medical kits for Diabetic and Anaphylactic students.
- Initiates contact with and acts as a liaison between the home, school, community health agencies and the private medical sector to enhance the health and wellness of the school community.
- Perform any other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the District Nurse or Designee.
- Current RN Illinois Nursing License
- Health Care Provider CPR/AED certified
- Prior professional nursing experience in a pediatric, adolescent, or community environment preferred
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: 10 month (school year) position. Salary is based on a step placement which is determined by education, experience and the Urbana Education Association and Board of education contract.
START DATE: September 11, 2020
Note: This position is within the collective bargaining unit and is not an administrative position.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER