Do you want to intern at a cool digital-health start-up? Do you want to bring your passion for building a good software product to impact the lives of millions affected by chronic disease? Work closely with founders, technologists, and advisors on solving real world problems and seeing your ideas through implementation? Sharpen your critical thinking skills and analytical skills along the way?
Viora Health Background and Description
2/3 of U.S. adults are at risk of chronic disease (diabetes, heart disease) with costs of $2.7 trillion annually. Viora Health (www.viorahealth.com) is a digital health solution that improves patient compliance to prevention programs using data and behavioral science tools.
(Penn, Cornell, MIT, Jefferson)
Founder: Wharton MBA, M.S. Statistics, second-time entrepreneur
Advisors: Faculty of Bioengineering (PhD); SVP (United Health), CEO (Landec)
Team Members: CEO (Wharton MBA), Data Scientist (PhD Candidate, Penn); Medical Officer (MD, Penn)
The applicant should have a formal education in statistics (ideally a BS in Statistics or closely related field) and is preferably a current PhD or Masters student in Statistics (or related field). The applicant should have strong coding skills in R and/or Python, with the ability to prepare data for analysis, perform regressions, and create plots. The applicant should have data science and machine learn knowledge or experience. Finally, the intern will be expected to plan and execute a data analysis activity as a series of logical steps and effectively communicate their plans and results to a layperson.
Required Skills & Education
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or relevant work experience
• Statistics coursework/practical training, including regression, hypothesis testing, design of experiments
• Coding skills in R and/or Python, including data preparation, regression, and plotting
• Knowledge/experience applying machine learning techniques
• Understanding of data engineering concepts and database designs.
• Advanced SQL knowledge for working with relational data (Postgres) and programming experience (Java/Python) in working with unstructured data and/or APIs
• Strong communication skills, a positive attitude, self-awareness, and empathy.
• Desire to write and maintain a clean and well-tested code base, focus on high quality of output.
• Ability to communicate statistical concepts to a layperson, collaborate with business/operations
• Ability to present data analysis results to scientists and engineers
Duration, Pay, Start Date, Location
Full-time for 10 weeks
Paid Discretionary performance based stipend upon completion of internship
Start date June 4, 2020
Located Virtually and then at 34/Market Street, Philadelphia, PA