Volcano Capital is a multi-strategy healthcare investment fund with offices in San Francisco and New York City. The summer intern will collaborate closely with our venture capital team on executing due diligence for potential new investments and helping manage our existing portfolio of 15 early-stage healthcare start-ups. We are seeking an individual who understands the dynamics of the healthcare system and can evaluate new & existing investments from a critical and evidence-based perspective.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Evaluating potential new investments by performing due diligence and reviewing the market, value proposition, competitive dynamics, regulatory pathway, reimbursement environment, patent strength, commercialization strategy, exit options, etc.
- Calculating capitalization tables following investment rounds, analyzing returns at various exit values / deal terms, building financial models / forecasts to evaluate cash out dates and cash needs under various growth scenarios
- Reviewing and assessing term sheets, stock purchase agreements, shareholder rights agreements and other legal documents associated with venture capital deals
- Assisting portfolio CEOs with strategic analysis to help them make critical decisions such as evaluating distribution deals, negotiating a potential acquisition deal, evaluating company performance, etc.
- An undergraduate degree with at least 2 years of related work experience, preferably in the healthcare industry
- Advanced ability to create and analyze Excel spreadsheets and financial statements, and to produce PowerPoint presentations
- Excellent quantitative & qualitative analytical skills and the ability to effectively present & summarize information in multiple formats
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
Volcano Capital Management is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity, affirmative action, and to compliance with all federal, state, and local laws concerning employment discrimination, including the Americans with Disabilities Act. To this end, Volcano Capital Management ensures equal opportunity to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, lawful alien status, physical, mental, and medical disability, veteran status or liability for service in the United States Armed Forces.