Asset Management Group
The Asset Management group is responsible for the management of all aspects of W. P. Carey’s global portfolio of real estate assets. Through W. P. Carey’s two primary offices in New York and Amsterdam, the Asset Management Group’s Transactions Officers are each responsible for a portfolio of tenant relationships, executing all types of transactions including credit analysis, dispositions, expansions, repositioning and redevelopment, leasing, restructuring, bankruptcy and workouts, and fund level strategy. The mandate is to maximize portfolio value by proactively executing transactions backed by rigorous analysis and effective negotiation. In North America, the team is composed of seven Transactions Officers and two project managers. With a large and growing global portfolio and a small, experienced team, the productivity, individual responsibility, and effectiveness of each member is critical to the success of the group.
The Summer Analyst will work directly with the Asset Management team to identify and execute on opportunities to create value within the portfolio, including but not limited to industrial, warehouse, office, retail, and self-storage assets. With a broadly diversified platform, team members gain exposure to a wide variety of tenant industries, property types, geographies, and transactions, requiring the ability to learn quickly and execute creative solutions in a fast-paced environment. The position is designed for rapid development and a successful candidate will be expected to be a team player with maturity, intensity and perseverance, and the ability to immediately contribute in a challenging work environment. The individual will need to embrace an environment where responsibility is delegated and individuals learn by executing. While real estate experience is not specifically required, the learning curve is steep, requiring candidates to rapidly absorb new skillsets and think on their feet.
While the financial success of the Company and its stakeholders is the primary responsibility, a balanced lifestyle is also important. Team members enjoy the company of dedicated colleagues and will be expected to operate at the highest level of productivity and integrity in order to make an immediate contribution to the Firm.
- Develop and execute long-term asset strategies encompassing leasing, repositioning, redevelopment, capital investment, dispositions and all other asset level activities
- Negotiate contracts including new leases, guaranties, restructures, and purchase/sale agreements in close collaboration with in-house and external legal counsel
- Execute workouts including bankruptcy and out of court restructurings
- Proactively manage assets to maximize cash flow, enhance renewal probability, improve sustainability and environmental impact, and identify investment opportunities
- Liaise with third-party service providers such as brokers, property managers, architects, engineers, general contractors, and developers
- Create financial models in Excel and Argus to evaluate transactional decisions
- Create, present, and defend analytical memos directly with senior management
- Perform in-depth credit and industry analysis through financial statement review and direct interaction with tenant management teams
- Visit assets, as COVID restrictions allow, to regularly evaluate asset level strategy, engage with tenant management, and maintain in-dept understanding of local market dynamics and relationships with market participants
- Strong academic performance in a rigorous curriculum is required
- Academic or internship experience in business, finance, real estate, or economics is valued
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel; Argus proficiency valued but not required
- Demonstrated ability to develop creative solutions to achieve results
- Ability to interact confidently with senior management within the company and externally
- Ability to multi-task and work independently with a steep learning curve
- Successful candidates will have sought out diverse work and extracurricular experiences
- Ideal traits include creativity, enthusiasm, problem solving, relationship building, critical thinking, proven leadership, and excellent verbal and written communication