About Walnut Bond
Walnut Bond (WB) is one of the leading global education service complexes in the United States. Our employees are the lifeblood of our company. The foundation of our culture is truly living by our core values every day through our employee-owners. WB’s key to success is developing and maintaining astrong performance-driven corporate culture that inspires our employees to achieve greatness.
Academic Advisor, full-time, serves as the primary point of supporting our study aboard program and has overall responsibility for advising international students in WB’s main service areas.
Work Location: Fairfax, VA
Due to the Covid-19 situation, now Walnut Bond employees are working from home until further clearance notice is given. The candidate will be expected to have high self- motivation, reporting skills, past project management experience (or related), and be familiar with distance working tools such as Google doc or Zoom.
ACADEMIC ADVISING – 65%
· Maintain current student files and database; respond to requests for information and/or analysis.
· Participate in new student orientation sessions both individually (within United States)
· Advise high school and undergraduate students on the development of individual learning outcomes based on their skills, goals, responsibilities and experiences.
· Review student records and meet with individual students to assess their educational, vocational and life goals.
· Work with students to develop and update short and long-term plans to meet those goals, while ensuring compliance to standards, policies and procedures.
· Encourage and provide training to students on utilizing online resources
· Monitor individual student progress and perform proactive advising outreach to students.
· Prepare supporting documents for student advising files.
· Analyze and resolve student issues associated with program requirements, course scheduling and degree matriculation.
· Interpret and apply academic policies for student degree requirements and academic progress as needed.
· Collaborate with campus staff to identify creative solutions to enhance the student’s overall educational experience.
· Pursue and demonstrate content knowledge regarding specific degree, credential and certificate programs.
· Pursue and demonstrate content knowledge regarding current learning outcome model of academic advising as endorsed by the National Academic Advising Association.
Retention Management – 20%
· Implement retention action plans for academic programs at the assigned campus.
· Implement student programming activities to enhance the overall educational experience of students at the campus
· Prepare program summary analyses, evaluative reports and recommendations for Campus Director.
· Pursue exit interviews with students who withdraw from the high school or university in order to improve current retention plans and develop new plans to address emerging issues.
· Assist in developing long term and session course schedules.
Outreach – 10%
· Implement community outreach efforts.
· Participate in local education fairs and meetings with local business leaders to promote campus programs and develop partnerships with the community.
· Conduct information sessions for prospective students.
· Participate in the implementation of specific program strategy at the assigned campus, using content specific knowledge, in order to increase marketing effectiveness and program enrollments.
· Respond to complex inquiries relating to program requirements, curriculum and course offerings.
Testing and Educational Services – 5%
· Coordinate testing and comprehensive exam or final project administration at the local office.
· Coordinate articulation, student teaching, internship opportunities with external entities, as needed.
· Participate in the planning and implementation of Campus Graduation, credential completion and other campus events.
· Other duties as assigned
· 1-3 years directly related experience, preferably in an K-12 or higher education situation.
· Demonstrated knowledge of academic advising theories and principles. · Understand the process of college counseling and admission.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills to explain academic policies and procedures to diverse constituents, including students, faculty and staff.
· General knowledge of enrollment management and retention best practices and the ability to apply them to an adult learning environment.
· Demonstrated understanding of curriculum for degree, credential and certificate programs.
· International business or study experience strongly preferred · Fluency in mandarin speaking and writing preferred
Salary and Benefit:
The position will offer H1B sponsorship and green card sponsorship. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. For fresh graduate, there are three months non-paid probation time with the company to see the potential of the candidate. For other candidates with prior working experience, there are also three months of probation period for the manager to see the performance.
This position has potential to promote to our management category. Company will cover professional development, healthcare insurance and other employee benefits.