Waterkeeper Alliance is a global movement uniting more than 350 Waterkeeper Organizations and Affiliates around the world, focusing citizen action on issues that affect our waterways, from pollution to climate change. Waterkeepers patrol and protect more than 2.8 million square miles of rivers, lakes and coastlines in Africa, Asia, Australia, the Americas, and Europe. For more information please visit: www.waterkeeper.org.
The Organizing Department is responsible for ensuring the needs of Waterkeeper groups are met, uniting them as a powerful global force and organizing their collective action. The Organizers are the representatives—or point people—for Waterkeeper Organizations, Regional Entities and Affiliates. In addition, they oversee the Rapid Response/Strike Force program.
The Organizing Director works to strengthen Waterkeeper groups around the world by ensuring Waterkeepers are meeting quality standards, uniting Waterkeeper groups as a powerful global force, and organizing their collective action. The Organizing Director is responsible for seeing the big picture and context of the organization’s work and coordinating that vision across the movement, addressing issues and questions raised by Waterkeeper groups, and providing/sharing information about the relevant departments in the Alliance. The ideal candidate will have experience in the international space with the skills to work across cultures; identify common interests for fundable projects; pinpoint common challenges, recommend, and execute solutions; and maintain and deploy data to harness the power of our grassroots movement.
- Work collaboratively with other departments to fulfill Strategic Plan goals;
- Oversee Organizing Team members who serve as the primary point-of-contact for all Waterkeeper groups;
- Collect, maintain, and deploy accurate data about Waterkeeper groups to harness the power of the global movement;
- Ensure Waterkeeper groups are meeting Waterkeeper Alliance Quality Standards, work across departments to develop solution-based strategies to address challenges with meeting standards, and remedy any quality standard violations in a timely manner;
- Collaborate effectively with other departments to drive quality support for Waterkeeper groups’ needs and challenges;
- Organize Waterkeeper groups around common issues and work with departments to create fundable and impactful projects;
- Support Waterkeeper groups in accessing membership benefits and opportunities, and oversee fiscal sponsorship program;
- Support the Board of Directors’ Organizing Committee and the Waterkeeper Council;
- Oversee and execute Waterkeeper Alliance’s Strike Force/Rapid Response program;
- Partner with other departments to ensure effective onboarding of new Waterkeeper groups;
- Work with Training team to plan and execute regional summits and global conferences;
- Work with Communications and Marketing team to ensure translation and interpretation services are available when needed;
- Develop strategic partnerships, discounts and benefits to support Waterkeeper groups;
- Work with Communications and Marketing team to develop and implement media and marketing strategies to promote the work of Waterkeepers and Waterkeeper Affiliates;
- Organize Waterkeepers and Waterkeeper Affiliates to collective action; and
- Collaborate with Waterkeeper Council representatives in developing and executing plans for regional meetings, including strategic goals, budgets, and timeline.
Minimum Qualifications: The Director position will require a very broad skill set and experience working in an international context. Given the unique structure of this collaborative effort, the Director will also need to be self-motivated, confident and able to work without direct supervision. At the same time, the Director will have to be an excellent listener and facilitator, and able to balance and represent various Waterkeeper positions and interests. The person in this position will need:
- A Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, along with 7 to 10 years of relevant experience, including a sound understanding of nonprofit organizational management, team coaching, budgets, and fundraising;
- Experience and ability to raise funds and develop and implement project plans;
- Knowledge, experience and background with water quality issues and grassroots
- training, organizing, and advocacy;
- Experience working with international advocates and institutions (bilingual or multilingual
- candidates strongly preferred);
- Knowledge and experience with multi-day event coordination;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral;
- Experience working in complex environments with a high degree of organizational
- effectiveness and attention to detail;
- An ability to travel both domestically and internationally (when safe to travel again);
- Familiarity with or the ability to readily adapt to the Waterkeeper culture and model;
- Experience with team building and facilitating group processes;
- To be charismatic and likeable; and
- To be persuasive and a consensus builder with lots of energy.
Location: New York, NY (remote during COVID-19)
Job type: Full-time
Start date: ASAP
Culture & Benefits: Our staff and Waterkeepers are the heart of our mission, and we are committed to pursuing the principles of Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) as we move forward to a more equal and empowering future as an organization. We aim to create and sustain a workforce that reflects the hundreds of global communities we strive to protect in our fight for clean water, and welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply to join our team!
We offer a competitive industry salary, excellent benefits including 15 vacation days and paid parental leave, work from home opportunities, and a healthy work-life balance to all members of our team.
Applications: Email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com , Subject: Organizing Director. Please note that applications must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered for this position.
Waterkeeper Alliance is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Waterkeeper is a registered trademark of Waterkeeper Alliance, Inc.