About The Wharton Social Impact Initiative
The Wharton Social Impact Initiative (WSII) is Wharton’s cross-disciplinary center working to strengthen the role of business in creating a more inclusive, equitable, and sustainable global economy. Our cutting-edge research and distinctive training opportunities provide students and professionals the tools to create business-driven solutions for a better world. WSII is the leading academic center for research on impact investing – investing with the goal of making not just a financial return, but also a positive social or environmental impact.
The Wharton Social Impact Initiative is seeking to hire an Associate to assist in data collection, management, and analysis regarding the practice and performance of impact investing, social entrepreneurship, and related topics. The Associate will assist primarily in the development of the Impact Finance Database (IFD), the world’s most comprehensive database to fuel rigorous academic research on impact investing.
Impact Finance Database Research Associate Job Description
The IFD Associate will contribute to the development of the Wharton Social Impact Initiative’s multidisciplinary research agenda and larger body of work. The Associate will have a unique and valuable opportunity to learn about impact investing and social enterprise alongside leading faculty and research professionals while becoming familiar with the technical and administrative aspects of rigorous academic research.
The position is ideal for individuals with an interest in pursuing a Ph.D. in management, finance, sociology, or economics and seeking to gain greater familiarity and experience with research before applying to graduate schools.
The IFD Associate will contribute to data collection, database management, and other research-related priorities. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assisting with outreach to impact investing funds for data collection
- Consulting on survey development and implementation
- Conducting interviews with impact investors and social entrepreneurs
- Analyzing both small and large data sets, including basic descriptive analysis and more sophisticated statistical procedures (cluster analysis, multilevel regression, etc.)
- Conducting literature reviews for research initiatives as necessary
- Monitoring, organizing, and cataloging data
- Supervising research assistants
- Staying up to date on latest trends and developments in impact investing and related fields
We anticipate making an initial appointment for one-year, with the possibility of renewal for an additional year. Though we have a preference for hiring a full-time Associate, we will consider a part-time arrangement. Strong candidates for this position will have many or all of the following skills, interests, and experience:
- Education, experience, and/or Interest in research planning, data collection, and database management
- Education, experience, and/or interest in impact investing, purpose-driven business, ESG investing, corporate social responsibility, private equity/venture capital, and racial equity investing
- Experience working with survey, financial, and accounting data
- Knowledge of and experience with statistical programming software (e.g., R, SAS, SPSS, Stata, etc.)
- Experience conducting and writing literature reviews and synthesizing findings across disciplines
- High proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint
- An orientation toward sales and relationship management (polished writing skills, warm and professional phone manner, high attention to detail)
- Discretion and utmost integrity with sensitive information
- Project management experience, team orientation, conscientiousness, and eagerness to learn new topics and skills
Instructions: We look forward to hearing from interested candidates for this position. To express your interest, please submit a resume and a cover letter describing (1) your interest in this position, (2) your relevant research, academic, and professional experience (3) your professional and/or education goals following the conclusion of this 1-2 year appointment. Please apply at this link.
For best consideration, please be sure to apply by September 23, 2021.
Please note: we can consider only applicants who are legally authorized to work in the United States for the University of Pennsylvania for the next one or two years and who do not now, and will not in the next two years, require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B visa status, etc.) to work legally for Penn in the United States.
The University of Pennsylvania adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Commitment: 35 hours/week
Keywords: impact investing; research; social impact; social enterprise; private equity; venture capital; ESG; diversity, equity, and inclusion; racial justice; business purpose