Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts is seeking a dynamic, strategic Director, Marketing to manage comprehensive marketing, sales, and promotional initiatives from research and planning to execution and analysis. The position is responsible for promoting and publicizing the Foundation’s arts and education programs through paid media in print, broadcast, online, and electronic communications, as well as through direct mail and audience development promotional activities. Managing a team of three, the successful candidate must thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment while building effective relationships with other Foundation departments, agencies, vendors, and marketing and media partners to advance the Foundation’s strategic branding, marketing, and sales goals.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Sales and Marketing Management:
· Develop and implement comprehensive concepts and strategies to promote and secure earned revenue in support of Wolf Trap’s artistic seasons, and educational and mission-based programs including Wolf Trap Opera and Wolf Trap Education.
· Lead strategic marketing initiatives in alignment with revenues goals for 200+ performances annually across three venues (The Filene Center, The Barns at Wolf Trap, and Children’s Theatre-in-the-Woods).
· Build and manage innovative and impactful marketing campaigns through planning and implementing the production, placement, and billing of print, radio, television, out of home, digital, direct mail, email, and grassroots efforts for effective promotion of performances, as well as Wolf Trap Opera and Education programs and activities.
· Generate ticket sales and marketing reporting and data analytics to determine effectiveness of marketing initiatives. Share analysis and recommendations for campaign adjustments to leadership and communication and marketing teams, as well as other stakeholders, to achieve organizational goals.
· Oversee marketing budget, expenditures, and invoice processing, and adjust accordingly based on the effectiveness of various marketing campaigns.
· Oversee, manage, and implement non-paid promotions with area businesses, media, and artistic partners.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Supervise the Manager, Marketing and Manager, Audience Development and Marketing using management best practices in alignment with the Foundation’s goals and values.
· Liaise with artist management and internal teams to communicate project developments and marketing campaign initiatives in support of Foundation and Programming and Production teams’ objectives.
· Oversee activities and responsibilities of marketing team, including performance advertising and sales, direct mail, advertising sales, promotional partnerships, group sales, and community/audience development initiatives.
· Partner with the Foundation’s Development team to develop and implement promotional campaigns associated with underwriting sponsorship and philanthropic partnership agreements.
· Manage outside vendors, agencies, consultants, freelancers and other supplier relationships, including contract negotiation.
· Represent the Foundation at area and on-site marketing events and activities across the greater Washington, DC region.
· Oversee press office and/or on-site media at select performances.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
· BA/BS degree in marketing, journalism or a related field
· Minimum of 8 years’ experience in marketing/advertising/promotions; strongly prefer entertainment or performing arts marketing management experience
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Wide ranging knowledge of music industry, artists and genres, and performing arts required
· Extensive knowledge of Washington, DC media market, including radio, TV, print, and online media landscapes
· Proven copy writing, editing, and proof-reading skills and experience
· Experience with in-house and agency media buying, including TVScan, Tapscan, and electronic media, as well as Scarborough, PPM and Nielsen ratings systems and Google analytics
· Broadcast spot production and effective use of new media experience highly desirable
· Familiarity with sponsorship and cause marketing campaigns
· Must be proficient with Microsoft Office and Google Analytics, familiarity with Tickets.com ticketing system a plus
· Motivated, outgoing, and an effective networker with a polished and professional image that positively reflects on the organization
· High level of detail, organization, and self-initiative; able to handle multiple assignments under the pressure of tight deadlines
· Ability to shift between performance genres and projects quickly and efficiently, and re-prioritize as marketing needs change
· Excellent interpersonal skills; clear and effective written and verbal communicator, plus ability and skill sets to communicate directly with artist management
· Strong business work ethic and ability to work in a team environment
· Energetic, team-oriented, enthusiastic and positive
· Ability and willingness to work nights and weekends; some travel may be required
· Must pass a background check
· Sensitivity and commitment to the mission of Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts
· Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time
· Regularly operates a computer and other office equipment (i.e. calculator, copier, printer, etc.)
· Occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, bend and reach with arms
· Lift/move up to 25 pounds infrequently
Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment that embraces and encourages different perspectives. We work to reflect and be representative of the communities in which we serve and in which we reside. Qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans who need assistance or an accommodation in our job application processes should contact email@example.com. An offer of employment is contingent on successfully passing a background check.
Compensation is commensurate with experience. We offer an outstanding benefits package that includes fully-paid medical and dental premiums for employees and their dependents, 20 paid holidays, generous Annual/Sick/Personal Leave, 403(b) match, flexible work hours and more.