PAID: WomenHeart MBA Strategic Planning Internship
JOB TITLE: Intern, Strategic Planning
REPORTS TO: CEO, in collaboration with Strategic Planning Consultants
STATUS: Paid $20/hour
Founded nearly 20 years ago, WomenHeart is a leading nonprofit based in Washington DC committed to ensuring that no woman navigate her heart journey alone. We run support groups around the country that provide a sense of community and knowledge when women need it the most, often times after suffering a life-changing event such as a heart attack. As cardiovascular disease remains the number one killer of women worldwide, affecting 12 million women in the US alone, the need for WomenHeart’s services only continues to increase. Unfortunately, women still experience significant challenges accessing equitable heart healthcare. Sixty-nine percent of sex-based disparities could be eliminated if women received a better quality of care but many women with heart disease don’t feel heard by the medical professionals who treat them. The US health system spends $127 billion annually on the treatment of cardiovascular disease alone.
About this Project
WomenHeart is seeking a talented MBA student to support the the development and implementation of our strategic plan in collaboration with the CEO and the strategic planning consultants. This past year, WomenHeart has experienced unprecedented changes in our service delivery, creating challenges as well as significant opportunities. With the transition of our support group and training services to virtual settings, the organization is rethinking scale and the opportunity to serve more women than ever before. This role will provide business intelligence and strategic planning support for WomenHeart. The intern will collaborate with the Board of Directors, WomenHeart staff, consultants, volunteers and funders.
· Support the planning, development and implementation of the strategic planning process
· Support a situation analysis /environmental scan based on review of existing data and materials
· Conduct primary and secondary research to understand stakeholders
· Contribute to the definition and characterization of the market environment, including competitive landscape
· Contribute to the development of strategic options to drive organizational growth and visibility that are backed by qualitative and quantitate insights
· Assess organizational capacity for alignment to proposed strategy
· Support analysis of complex business issues using quantitative and qualitative data from internal and external sources
· Support efforts to utilize data to tell a story to drive actionable insights and recommendations through creative presentations, executive level summaries, data analysis and visualization to drive strategic plan drafting process
· In collaboration with the CEO and strategic planning consultants, ensure the process is moving forward by shepherding the drafting of strategy documents, consultative reviews and approval processes by the Board.
WomenHeart embraces and values diversity in our hiring. The ideal candidate for this role has prior experience working at a top-tier management consulting firm experienced in strategy development, a bachelor’s degree and US citizenship or permanent residency. Additional qualifications:
· Excellent critical thinking, analytical, strategic and synthesis skills
· Outstanding communication skills, with proven ability to create compelling presentations that inform and drive decisions
· Proven program management experience, demonstrated ability to drive projects forward and adjust to changing priorities
· Ability to deliver a consolidated view of market environment and competitive structure
· Skills to influence stakeholders, drive alignment and build relationships
· Ability to understand digital technology in driving engagement and new business opportunities
· Experience working independently as well as collaboratively with cross-functional stakeholders
· Knowledge of how nonprofits work and cardiovascular disease is highly valued but not required
This is a remote/work-at-home position, however, it is preferred (but not required) that this role be located in the greater Washington DC metropolitan area for in-person collaboration when CDC restrictions are lifted.
We’re looking to hire an intern for approximately 10-15 hours/ week for this 5 month project with a start date of May 1, 2021. The compensation is $20/hour.