The Summer VISTA Tutor will work with YouthBuild Philly’s academic team to increase the number of students who attain a diploma, and are academically prepared to be successfully placed and retained in postsecondary settings. We are seeking a college student or graduate, with excellent communication skills, the ability to proactively develop positive relationships, and a commitment to community engagement and education. The ideal candidate is passionate about education justice, is interested in creative thinking and problem solving, and is prepared to undertake a variety of projects to support student success. The VISTA will:
· Establish Tutoring schedule: The summer VISTA will collaborate with the education team to develop and implement targeted instruction plan for students.
· Tracking student graduation progress: Working with Education Success and Data VISTAs, the Summer VISTA will support efforts to provide real time updates as to where students are in their graduation pathway.
· Data Analysis: The VSTA will establish learning trends for the current class. For example, coding of writing reflections – what did they learn, common themes.
· Preparing for the school year: As we prepare to return to the building in the new school year, the VISTA will support teachers by creating materials for lessons that were previously conducted over zoom, and reorganizing the physical space since it has not been used since March 2020.
· a living allowance of $542.22/biweekly pretax
· an education award of approximately $1,342 upon successful completion of term of service
· loan forbearance w/ interest accrual payment (federal loans)
This full-time AmeriCorps position is ideal for any candidate who is looking to gain experiences in any of the following areas: nonprofits, program design, research, data, charter schools, and/or urban education. Regular hours for this position are weekdays from 8a.m. to 4p.m. with flexibility required for occasional night or weekend events/projects. The position will begin as remote, with the expectation of going in person.
Term and Qualifications for VISTA Members
Applicants for our full-time AmeriCorps/VISTA Member position must:
● Be a current college student or graduate who is—
▪ proficient with Excel
▪ detail-oriented, and
▪ passionate about education
● Be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident status
● Be in a position to offer full-time service for 8 weeks
● Be willing to live among and at the economic level of the low-income people served by the project and have a desire to provide needed community services to an under-served community
● Not listed in the National Sex Offender Registry database as convicted of a sex-related crime
● Applicants cannot be the subject of legal proceedings (civil or criminal) that may consume time needed for their assignments
To apply, send a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words “Summer VISTA – Tutor” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.