We are committed to serving students and alumni as they pursue a legal education. As of March 16th, 2020, we are providing all General Pre-Law Advising Appointments and Law School Document Critique Appointments remotely via phone or Bluejeans online platform. All appointments may be scheduled via Handshake. Appointment availability is added on a regular basis up to two weeks out. Please see below for scheduling instructions.
The Pre-Law Newsletter is distributed 1-2 times a week and includes important information about pre-law events and opportunities. Click here for subscription directions.
General Pre-Law Advising Appointments
A General Pre-Law Advising appointment is a 30-minute session with a pre-law advisor to discuss any of the following:
- Application Planning
- School List
- Topics for Personal Statement & Supplemental Essays
- General Questions
We highly recommend viewing our “What to Do and When to Do It” slide deck before your appointment.
Law School Document Critique Appointments
A Law School Document Critique appointment is a 30-minute, online video session with a pre-law advisor. A critique appointment will provide you with feedback regarding the substance and content of some components of your application. Critique appointments will become available to schedule at the start of the fall semester.
- Each applicant is allowed a maximum of two critique appointments and these must be with the same pre-law advisor.
- An applicant may use an appointment to receive feedback on up to two of the following documents:
- Personal Statement
- Diversity Statement
- Explanatory Addendum
- All Law School Document Critiques are online video sessions, scheduled via Handshake.
- You must upload a draft of the documents that you are seeking feedback on before you schedule your appointment. If a document draft is not uploaded before you schedule an appointment, your Law School Document Critique request will be declined.
- These appointments cannot be rescheduled. If you need to cancel your appointment, the cancelled appointment will count as one critique.
- To maximize the quality of our feedback and your opportunity to write an effective document, we will not “proofread” or “edit” your draft — we will provide you with a focused reader response to assist you with your revision process.
Before drafting your document consult the appropriate resources on our pre-law website.
After completing a draft of your document:
- Read the document one last time to proofread, check for word choice, and assess the tone.
- Submit your draft in Handshake by uploading the document to your Handshake Profile.
- Schedule a “Law School Document Critique” online appointment with a pre-law advisor in the “Appointments” section of Handshake.
To request a Law School Application Résumé Review, please email your résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants are limited to one review per application cycle.
Pre-Law Drop-In Hours
Pre-Law Drop-In Hours are a time to meet briefly with a pre-law advisor to ask quick questions.
Procedures for scheduling a drop-in appointment are as follows:
Appointments will be available on Handshake starting at 9:15 AM EST on the day of the drop-in. Drop-ins will take place on Tuesdays from 5-6pm EST and on Thursdays from 2-3pm EST during the semester. You can also check the Same-Day Advising page for any updates to the weekly schedule!
- Log into Handshake and choose “Same-Day Drop-In (Phone) – Pre-Law” as the appointment type.
- You must provide a phone number where we can reach you.
- If your appointment request is approved, an advisor will call you at your scheduled appointment time.