This unpaid internship is designed to be an entry-level experience for those interested in careers working with marine mammals. There are several positions for each term and our Animal Care and Training Interns are expected to work together to achieve common goals. As in all venues, there are multiple opportunities for individual achievement.
The Animal Care and Training Intern position provides support to the Animal Care and Training staff by learning about and assisting with diet preparation for the animals and maintaining the diet prep facility. Interns are expected to become familiar with industry standard terms and practices as they shadow trainers to learn operant conditioning techniques through observation.
Basic Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Successfully complete classroom seminars and training courses including written and/or verbal quizzes.
- Daily and deep cleaning and sanitation of fish prep areas and equipment
- Retrieving fish from freezer and applying proper thawing techniques.
- Microphone narrations of live dolphin and/or sea lion presentations.
- Assist with avian and sea lion training sessions including cleaning and maintaining the habitat.
- Developing and implementing enrichment devices for dolphins, sea lions, and birds.
- Act as medical assistant for husbandry training sessions including such duties as pouring water when dolphins are performing voluntary hydration behavior
- Based on the needs of the facility and individual performance, interns may assist with dolphin training and feeding sessions.
- Keep a training journal of sessions, thoughts and questions. This journal provides discussion points for regularly scheduled progress meetings with your coach.
- Build a resume with the help of experienced staff.
- Train to complete DRC’s swim test.