Core Pre-Med Courses
The courses listed below will satisfy the basic core requirements for most medical schools.
Note: Requirements and policies can differ from school to school. Review individual schools’ requirements in the Medical School Admissions Requirements (MSAR) and the Choose DO Explorer database and on each school’s admissions website. When planning your coursework, we recommend that you consult with your academic and pre-health advisors since everyone’s path to medical school differs.
Biology: Two Semesters with Lab
- Semester 1: BIOL 101 OR BIOL 121 with BIOL 123
- Semester 2: BIOL 102 OR 200-Level Biology Lecture with BIOL 124
General Chemistry: Two Semesters with Lab
- Semester 1: CHEM 101 with CHEM 053 lab
- Semester 2: CHEM 102 with CHEM 054 lab
Physics: Two Semesters with Lab
- Semester 1: PHYS 101 OR PHYS 150
- Semester 2: PHYS 102 OR PHYS 151
Organic Chemistry: Two Semesters with Lab
- Semester 1: CHEM 241 with CHEM 244 lab
- Semester 2: CHEM 242 OR CHEM 243, either with CHEM 249 lab
Biochemistry: One Semester
- Semester 1: BIOL 204 or CHEM 251
English & Writing: Two Semesters
- Semester 1: Writing Seminar
- Semester 2: Any ENGL or COML course
Math & Statistics: One Semester Each
- Semester 1: MATH 104* or higher
- Semester 2: STAT 111, BIOL 446, or another statistics course
*Students who receive AP credit for MATH 104 from the University (noted on the academic transcript) may use it to fulfill medical school math/calculus requirements. All students, including those using AP credit for Calculus, should take statistics.