Core Pre-Med Courses
The courses listed below will satisfy the basic core requirements for most medical schools.
Note: Requirements and policies can differ from school to school. Review individual schools’ requirements in the Medical School Admissions Requirements (MSAR) and the Choose DO Explorer database and on each school’s admissions website. When planning your coursework, we recommend that you consult with your academic and pre-health advisors since everyone’s path to medical school differs.
Biology: Two Semesters with Lab
- Semester 1: BIOL 1101 OR BIOL 1121 with BIOL 1123
- Semester 2: BIOL 1102 OR 2000-Level Biology Lecture with BIOL 1124
General Chemistry: Two Semesters with Lab
- Semester 1: CHEM 1011 OR CHEM 1012, either with CHEM 1101 lab
- Semester 2: CHEM 1012 OR CHEM 1022 with CHEM 1102 lab
Physics: Two Semesters with Lab
- Semester 1: PHYS 0101 OR PHYS 0150
- Semester 2: PHYS 0102 OR PHYS 0151
Organic Chemistry: Two Semesters with Lab
- Semester 1: CHEM 2411 with CHEM 2412 lab
- Semester 2: CHEM 2421 with CHEM 2422 lab
Biochemistry: One Semester
- Semester 1: BIOL 2810 or CHEM 2510
English & Writing: Two Semesters
- Semester 1: Writing Seminar
- Semester 2: Any ENGL or COML course
Math & Statistics: One Semester Each
- Semester 1: MATH 1300 with MATH 0030 lab* or higher
- Semester 2: STAT 1110, BIOL 2510, or another statistics course
*Students who receive AP credit for MATH 1400 from the University (noted on the academic transcript) may use it to fulfill medical school math/calculus requirements. All students, including those using AP credit for Calculus, should take statistics.